Full, flavor ,low-fat, super nutritious, very-healthy, and high-in-fiber.
So good for you!
How can this be?
By replacing some of the traditional ingredients (like ground beef) with healthier – yet very flavorful – options, we can reduce the calorie count of these stuffed peppers by 100 calories each! And we totally eliminate the saturated fat and cholesterol! And I added 5 grams of fiber!
Low-fat and super flavorful, these stuffed bell peppers.
* 4 large, sweet bell peppers
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 large sweet onion (or one small), diced small
* 2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 3/4 cups cooked brown rice
* 2 small to medium tomatoes, diced small
* 3/4 cups corn kernels (drained if canned)
* 1/2 cup (one 2.5 ounce can) sliced olives, drained
* 3/4 cup cooked black beans or red beans, lightly rinsed and drained well
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley – optional
* 2 teaspoons granulated onion
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/8 teaspoon paprika
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup crumbled, extra-firm (water-packed - not silken) tofu seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt (See note below about alternative toppings.)
1. Cut the bell peppers in half .
2. remove the stem part.
3. Heat oil in a large pan and sauté the diced onions over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until they just begin to soften.
4. Add garlic and rice and sauté for one additional minute.
5. Stir in tomatoes, corn, olives, beans, and seasonings. Remove from heat.
6. Remove seeds and membranes from the insides of the peppers. Fill peppers with rice mixture, packing tightly so as to fill with as much mixture as possible. Place peppers in baking dish.
7. Sprinkle tops with crumbled tofu or other topping. (While a tofu or cheese topping really adds to these stuffed peppers, they taste great even without any topping, so if you don't have anything on hand, no worries.)
8. Cover and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
I like to use seasoned, crumble tofu instead of cheese for many dishes that normally call for cheese, including these stuffed peppers, because:
1. it’s easy
2. it’s a much healthier option than cheese
3. it tastes good
4. Did I mention it’s easy?