- Lentil Soup is one of those powerhouse recipes that everyone needs to have in their back pocket. It’s a core foundation to your kitchen (and your life) that will serve you well from now until basically forever. Lentil soup is filling and comforting without forsaking nutritional density or incredible flavor. It’s versatile, vegan, and, better yet, basically free. A huge pot provides a week’s worth of satisfying, gut-warming lunches and only costs around 6 bucks to pull together. Kids dig it, old people fucking love it, and it’s maybe better than chicken soup when you’ve got a gnarly cold.
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- , grated
- 1 eating apple
, peeled, cored and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20g pack coriander, stalks chopped
- thumb-size piece fresh root ginger
- 800g sweet potatoes
1.2l vegetable stock
- 100g red lentil
- juice 1 lime
- Put the curry powder into a large saucepan, then toast over a medium heat for 2 mins. Add the olive oil, stirring as the spice sizzles in the pan. Tip in the onions, apple, garlic, coriander stalks and ginger, season, then gently cook for 5 mins, stirring every so often.
- , peel, then grate the sweet potatoes. Tip into the pan with the stock, lentils, and seasoning, then simmer, covered, for 20 mins. Blend until smooth using a stick blender. Stir in the lime juice, check the seasoning and serve, topped with roughly-chopped coriander leaves.