Super Bowl Sunday, at the Forrest Home Fresh Home Made Tomato Sauce is a Must . So I Decided To Share My Husband's Grandma's Recipe With You. This Sauce Was Cooking for the Whole Night, 15 hours Later This yummy and fresh baby is done so I hope you try and love it as much as I do ..
Homemade Tomato Sauce
10 to 15 hours
15 hours 10 mins
Home made tomato marinara sauce from fresh tomatoes, basil and garlic.
Author: Paula Forrest
Recipe type: Sauce
* 5 pounds of fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded (to peel, cut a small "x" on the top and drop in to boiling water for 10 seconds and drop in to an ice bath. Skin will easily peel off)
* ¼ cup olive oil (or tallow)
* 3 medium onions, diced
* 8 cloves of fresh garlic (or more to taste), finely minced
* ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
* 1 sprig of fresh thyme leaves (or ½ tsp dried)
* 1 sprig of fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
* 2 bay leaves (remove when done)
* 2 sprigs of parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Pour the olive oil into a large stockpot over medium heat.
2. Add diced onions and garlic .
3. Saute for 6-8 minutes or until onions are translucent and tender.
4. Add tomatoes, chopped basil leaves, oregano, thyme bay leaves, parsley and sea salt.
5. Simmer on low heat for 10 to 15 hours or until cooked down and starting to darken.
6. Optional: Use an immersion blender to puree sauce until smooth (for a thicker sauce, skip this step.
7. Use fresh or store in the fridge up to 1 week, or can it according to your canner's instructions for tomato products.